Water is the most essential element necessary to sustain human life and ensure its survival. One of our most basic needs is water, to drink, to clean ourselves with and to prepare food. Water is also used to generate electricity in our modern world. What if this had to stop due to the shortage of something that we perceive to be so rudimentary, yet so disposable because it is always readily available to quench our needs.

Agenda 21 is a worldwide action plan for areas where human activities may affect the environment, it suggested many initiatives, including creating a World Water Day. The UN General Assembly adopted a resolution on December 22, 1992, declaring March 22 World Water Day. Countries were encouraged to develop activities to highlight local needs for water. Some of these activities include; Symposia for local, national and international leaders on water management and security, educational events on the importance of clean water and protecting water resources, campaigns and events to raise money for access to clean and affordable water. This day is celebrated to increase people’s awareness of water’s importance to the environment, agriculture, health and trade. Without the presence of water all human and animal life would certainly cease to exist within a very short period of time.
Of all the water on the Earth, 97.5% is contained within the oceans, while the remaining 2.5% is freshwater lakes and frozen water locked up in glaciers and the polar ice caps.

Water is more important than we can imagine and there are many countries and communities which experience a great lack of the resource. If the world continues to abuse water, soon enough we will be faced with a dilemma that goes beyond the frustrations of fuel shortages, a day that no one would wish to see. Begin by appreciating the availability of water and then take the necessary steps to do whatever it is you can to protect the environment, by limiting wastage or overuse of water.

[box] Written By: Eva Sgroi [/box] World Water Day

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *